Job title: Investment Associate
Reports to: Director of Business Engagement
Location(s): India; Hong Kong; and/or Washington, DC metro region; plus travel to focus countries across South Asia and South East Asia
Start date: Immediate
About the Global Fund to End Modern Slavery
The Global Fund to End Modern Slavery (GFEMS) is a bold public-private partnership that seeks to catalyze and coordinate a coherent global strategy to end modern slavery. Our mission is to end modern slavery by making it economically unprofitable.
GFEMS will make grants across sectors and geographies with a focus on three core funding themes: rule of law, business engagement, and sustaining freedom. The Fund’s strategy also includes the development of public-private investments across key industries and innovative approaches to evaluating what works in reducing the prevalence of modern slavery. We invite you to read more about the fund’s strategy and early investment priorities at www.gfems.org.
16m of the 25m victims of forced labor globally are estimated to be in private sector supply chains. The top sectors include construction, domestic work, manufacturing, agriculture and hospitality. Business leadership and proactive business engagement is needed to generate market-based solutions to end modern slavery. You will join a newly formed entrepreneurial team of strategy consultants, finance and development professionals within the fund. The team’s goal will be to identify, create, build and execute win-win investment deals and business cases for the private sector to invest in slavery-free supply chains. This will involve the development of public private partnerships, project finance deals and patient capital investments.
- In collaboration with senior management and the Director of Business Engagement, develop strategy and hypotheses on PPPs that will create economic incentives and market-based solutions for businesses to contribute to a world free from modern slavery
- Lead the development of investment and business cases to efficiently test the team’s hypotheses, including detailed financial valuation and social impact modelling of public private partnerships
- Gather data utilizing creative and collaborative means, working seamlessly across public and private stakeholders, demonstrating political and cultural sensitivity
- Provide analytical ‘horsepower’ to test and refine strategies for business engagement across the fund’s core country and industry investments
- Coordinate, facilitate and collaborate to create multi-stakeholder alignment and collective action around core PPP ideas.
- Develop detailed and compelling presentations to inspire, attract, engage corporations and governments on our strategy
- Project manage pilot execution of promising PPP ideas and support in fundraising and advocating
- Perform other duties as requested
- Bachelor’s degree from top tier university; MBA or Masters of Finance or CFA preferred
- At least 3-5 years experience in the development of public private partnerships, project finance deals and patient capital investments
- Prior experience in working cross-culturally and working with both public and private sectors in emerging economies
- Prior background in strategy consulting or development banks a plus
- Demonstrated passion and interest in addressing modern slavery and/or other social impact/justice issues
- Exceptional modelling and valuation expertise
- Action and results oriented; hungry for real world impact
- Proven analytical and problem solving skill-set in uncertain environments
- Passionately curious and thirst for continuous learning
- Entrepreneurial and independently able to identify tasks, priorities, and find creative ways to get things done
- Strong client management and partnership development skills
- Proven willingness to fail
- Excellent written (PPT and Word) and verbal communication in English
Application instructions: Email cover letter and resume in a single PDF to email@example.com . Please title document [firstname lastname] – Investment Associate and use subject line Investment Associate. In a maximum one-page cover letter, please outline your views on the most promising industries / sectors for catalyzing significant reductions in the prevalence of modern slavery. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Compensation and Benefits
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected initiative. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. GFEMS is prepared to offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
GFEMS provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.