Director of Finance & Administration
Job Title: Director of Finance & Administration (F&A)
Reports to: CEO
Location: D.C. metro area
About the Global Fund to End Modern Slavery
The Global Fund to End Modern Slavery (GFEMS) is a bold public-private partnership that seeks to catalyze and coordinate a coherent global strategy to end modern slavery. Our mission is to end modern slavery by making it economically unprofitable.
GFEMS will make grants across sectors and geographies with a focus on three core funding themes: rule of law, business engagement, and sustaining freedom. The Fund’s strategy also includes the development of public-private investments across key industries and innovative approaches to evaluating what works in reducing the prevalence of modern slavery. We invite you to read more about the fund’s strategy and early investment priorities at www.gfems.org.
The Director of F&A role is a unique opportunity for a professional with a robust background in nonprofit financial management who has experience in high-growth organizations executing complex grant management. This position is part of the senior leadership team, but will also require you to roll-up your sleeves and be an active, solutions-oriented contributor to GFEMS programs. In collaboration with the CEO, you will formulate and institute ever improving strategy, policy, and practice.
Finance & Accounting
- Work closely with CEO to ensure clarity around long term funding requirements and financial stability of the organization.
- Direct cash flow planning, investment, asset management, and ensure availability of funds.
- Ensure relevant and reliable financial reporting and a robust internal control structure.
- Continually improve financial systems to meet the needs of a growing organization.
- Direct overall policy and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including audit firm, banking institutions, financial and other consultants, as well as vendors.
- Serve as staff Liaison to the Finance and Audit Committees.
- Ensure legal, regulatory compliance and best business practices for all financial functions.
- Work closely with the CEO and Board to minimize exposure to risk.
- Facilitate the annual budget planning process.
- Direct and administer all financial plans and budgets; and monitor progress.
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts; analyze program cost-effectiveness and model growth projections.
- Monitor organizational performance with regard to plan.
Compliance & Subaward / subcontractor Management
- Oversee donor compliance and ensure organization is meeting all necessary legal requirements, including through downstream subgrantees and subcontractors.
- Provide guidance to staff regarding awarded terms and conditions and donor regulations, as well as assist negotiating the terms and conditions of agreements with clients, contractors and sub-awardees.
- Develop and oversee plans to ensure contractors and sub-awardees comply with the terms and conditions of the awarding instruments.
- Keep abreast of, interpret, and provide guidance to staff on donor regulations and policies; educate staff on contract compliance and operational topics.
- Review draft contract and grant agreements (and modifications to such agreements), to ensure adherence to donor regulations and that GFEMS’ organization, programmatic, compliance and financial interests are considered and represented in such agreements
- Lead contract preparation including those for solicitations, contracts, consulting agreements and purchase orders
- Manage administrative vendors including benefits and payroll provider, office lease, etc
- Maintain appropriate insurance policies for the organization and its facilities
- Oversee IT infrastructure
- Manage general Human Resources activities
This position requires a committed leader who can thrive in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, complex environment. Successful candidates will clearly demonstrate their capacity and passion for all aspects of this multi-dimensional position. Qualified individuals will demonstrate deep expertise in finance and accounting with a broad generalist background.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance; Master’s degree preferred -- or equivalent experience
- At least 10 years’ experience in a similar capacity in a nonprofit organization, with demonstrated success developing and implementing robust financial management system.
- Demonstrated experience with successful U.S. federal grant compliance; experience with additional major ODA donors and/or private foundations preferred.
- Demonstrated experience navigating contractual language.
- Proficiency in all aspects of corporate accounting and all pertinent GAAP, OMB Uniform Circular.
- Advanced proficiency in information technology and standard software programs to effectively utilize QuickBooks, MS Office applications, Google Apps, and other data management system, as well as experience in financial systems integration.
- Excellent data presentation skills and the ability to explain financial concept and data clearly to a range of audiences.
- Clear, concise written and oral communication outputs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment.
Please email resume and cover letter in a single PDF document labelled “firstname lastname - Director of F-A” to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Director of Finance & Admin.” You should be prepared to provide references upon request. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Compensation and Benefits
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected initiative. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. GFEMS is prepared to offer a competitive benefits package.
GFEMS provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
GFEMS is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We take all possible measures to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.