Director of Business Engagement
Job title: Director of Business Engagement
Reports to: CEO
Location: Washington, D.C. metro area and/or major business hub in Asia region. Position requires significant travel.
Start date: Immediate
About the Global Fund to End Modern Slavery
The Global Fund to End Modern Slavery (GFEMS) is a bold public-private partnership that seeks to catalyze and coordinate a coherent global strategy to end modern slavery. Our mission is to end modern slavery by making it economically unprofitable.
GFEMS will make grants across sectors and geographies with a focus on three core funding themes: rule of law, business engagement, and sustaining freedom. The Fund’s strategy also includes the development of public-private investments across key industries and innovative approaches to evaluating what works in reducing the prevalence of modern slavery. We invite you to read more about the fund’s strategy and early investment priorities at www.gfems.org.
There are an estimated 25m victims of forced labor globally with 16m estimated to be in private sector supply chains. The sectors deemed to have the highest rate of prevalence include: construction, domestic work, manufacturing, agriculture and hospitality. Business leadership to facilitate behavior change and concrete actions within supply chain practices is needed to generate market-based solutions to end modern slavery.
The Director of Business Engagement will be responsible for identifying, developing and executing win-win public private partnerships (“PPPs”) that create measurable value for the private sector and government, while achieving a significant reduction in the prevalence of slavery in a specific industry.
This role calls for a versatile, creative and results-oriented leader who can navigate multiple industries and stakeholders and turn strategy into action. International experience and a proven ability to operate effectively in a wide variety of countries and cultures is a must. Experience in SE Asia is ideal. The Director will be a highly effective team leader, able to manage a remote team of investment associates and partners.
- Identify opportunities for transformative PPPs to sustainably reduce prevalence at scale.
- Lead outreach with the business community and private sector and collaborate with government and civil society.
- Direct and guide the business engagement team toward the development of quantifiable investment and business cases that will form the basis for project finance / PPP deal development. This will involve building valuations from a variety of public and private sector perspectives.
- Lead the operationalization of promising PPPs in target countries. This may involve managing and overseeing consultants and partners to develop investment vehicles for public and private investment and incubating the operational team on the ground.
- Raise additional funding and capital together with the CEO for the most promising investment opportunities.
- Coordinate efforts with CEO to secure private sector commitments to specific actions and investment opportunities.
- Ensure that public-private partnership development is fully integrated with GFEMS’ grant-making and prevalence measurement verticals.
- As directed by the CEO, provide ad hoc support for private sector outreach and engagement.
Experience and qualifications
- Minimum 10 years of experience in senior operational leadership roles in the private sector including experience in operational functions such as global supply chain operations and strategy development.
- Proven cross-cultural leader with deep international experience and networks in Asia (preferred experience having overseen operations in India, Bangladesh, Philippines and Vietnam).
- Entrepreneurial leadership with a track record of developing and executing transformative strategies that achieve measurable value.
- Proven ability to cultivate and secure partnerships at senior levels of the private sector and to collaborate with government and civil society.
- Excellent analytical skills (financial, planning, operational) and communication skills (written and presentation).
- Natural relationship-builder and highly collaborative - able to work with multiple, wide ranging personalities and cultures.
- Strong team leader and able to train and grow the potential of others.
Email cover letter and resume in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title document [firstname lastname] - Dir. of Business Engagement and use subject line Dir. of Business Engagement. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Compensation and Benefits
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected initiative. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. GFEMS is prepared to offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
GFEMS provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
GFEMS is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We take all possible measures to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.